Friday, May 05, 2006

For this the tears do spill

A sat on the counch,
Next to the phone
Beneath the lights
Mum and me alone

It had taken a while
To find the courage beneath
To understand the turmoil
To become covered in grief

I kept the secret silent
I had held off for many years
The thought; the terror; the anguish
The nights; the horror; the fears

And so I decided on the day
To tell what lay so hidden
To let her know what I had to say
To tell her what was so forbidden

Mum, I said in my quietest voice
Dad is touching me all the time
She looked at me without a blink
A look that should have shown a crime

She turned to me and said
"Is there something you want me to do?"
And to this, I had no reply
So I just said "No"; quiet ensues

And then there was a silence
I heard it for many years
It filled my life with horror
I cried a life of tears

I had taken the courage to tell her
The silence is deafening still
For why did she not help me
For this the tears do spill.


May 2006


It took me years to recover and to seek therapy. My mother could have started this process earlier. I moved out not long after this incident. I do not know her reasonings behind her silence. For three of her daughters had been abused and still she was silent when her granddaughters visited......... I no longer visit. The unfortunate thing is that the months before this incident, we had grown closer, and I trusted her more.

1 comment:

Austin of Sundrip said...

I am terribly sorry about that. Goodness! I've said before that the silent abusers seem to leave so much damage...almost more hurt than the person that violated us. Mothers seem to have a certain "spell" over their kids. Dads, grandfathers, brothers are known to be violent and self centered because of the simple fact that they are male. I think this veiw is wrong but it still is public view in the US. Nobody flinches when someone says my dad did this or my g-father did this simply because they are male.... mothers seem to be given a status above men...as protectors..as people that would give their life for their kids. How does this ideology jive with what silent mothers allow and overlook. it doesnt so silent mothers end up being unpunished abusers.. because of their silence the abuse continued...
i'm rambling now but basically i wanted to say that I understand and that I'm so sorry for her silence. you work up the nerve and then smacked down like that. I can see it still hurts.

Austin of Sundrip Journals